Granite District will immediately implement a districtwide two-week dismissal
School District Info
Please see the following information from the Taylorsville-area Granite School District regarding the digital learning program it is implementing for the next two weeks:
Dear Granite School District Patrons and Employees,
As with the NEWLY announced guidance from the Statewide Coronavirus Taskforce, Granite District will immediately implement a districtwide TWO WEEK DISMISSAL. Please review the entire message as it will likely answer the bulk of your questions. Additional updates will be made available on our homepage at www.graniteschools.org and on our social media channels.
This is NOT a closure. These are preventative measures to help reduce the spread of disease. This recommendation will continue to be evaluated and further adjustments could be made with ongoing guidance from State and Local Health officials.
Effective immediately, students will be dismissed from daily attendance through Friday, March 27. A school dismissal is defined as students do not report to school, but facilities remain open and staff report to work as normal. School will continue for students, but on a digital and distance platform.
- On Monday and Tuesday, teachers will prepare to teach in the new platforms.
- All teachers and other employees (including hourly) will report to work at their normal contract time and adhere to appropriate social distancing measures. Teachers would be in classrooms to prepare to provide resources and materials for digital and distance learning.
- Starting Wednesday, March 18, schools will initiate digital and distance instruction. Parents and students who do not have access to technology or a device at home, may come to the school to checkout a chromebook (which will require wifi access at home). Parents will need to sign a checkout form in order to obtain access to a device. Hardcopy learning modules will be made available for students who do not have access to the internet at home. Students will not be required to come to campus once digital and distance learning is initiated. We will not be able to accommodate student usage of school internet during this dismissal.
- As always, the expectation is that students will be accountable for the work assigned and we ask for parents to work with their teachers and children through this non-traditional circumstance. Retakes, assignment turn-ins and so forth will be coordinated with teachers through canvas, email or teacher work phone (please do not text teachers).
- School locations that provide breakfast will continue that service in a Grab and Go service at pickup times that the schools will specify.
- Grab and Go lunches will be provided for ALL students. These WILL be available on Monday, March 16 through Wednesday, March 18th, and after Spring Break. Students will NOT be able to eat their meals on campus. Schools will provide specific information on pickup times through your school’s traditional communication tools.
- Spring Break dates for our District are still applicable (Thursday, March 19th - Student Non-attendance day. Friday, March 20th-Monday, March 23rd - Spring Break). Meals WILL NOT be provided during the break.
- All other additional school sponsored activities are canceled for the next two weeks. This includes extra-curricular activities and other sports practices.
- There will be NO supervision on school property including playgrounds and play fields.
- Student internships and other external programs are canceled for the next two weeks.
- Adult Education courses are dismissed but the testing center will remain open with appropriate restrictions. Please contact the testing center for information at (385) 646-5447.
- ALL preschool classes are canceled.
- Community Centers are closed.
All activities and events previously canceled are still canceled. ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE for specific employee groups is forthcoming.
We recognize that this has been a tumultuous few days. As always, our decisions are made with the expertise and guidance of State and County Health Departments and we will continue to keep you up to date as this dynamic situation unfolds. Thanks for your ongoing patience and support as we work to keep our students and employees safe.
View the full press conference from the Coronavirus Taskforce: https://www.facebook.com/GovGaryHerbert/videos/611579336058803/