Code Enforcement Tips

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The City of Taylorsville strives to maintain a healthy community and has adopted ordinances to assist in maintaining the health and safety of its residents. Adherence to the ordinances is necessary to promote a safe, healthy and neighborly community. The following are some of the more frequently committed violation for this time of year:


Trees overhanging the sidewalk must be trimmed up to a minimum height of seven feet above the sidewalk. During the summer months, Code Enforcement Officials are inundated with calls about low hanging trees making it difficult for pedestrians to use the sidewalk. In addition, trees must be trimmed to a minimum height of 13-1/2 feet above the roadway.


All bushes, vines and other vegetation near the City sidewalk must be trimmed back to the edge of the sidewalk. Vegetation which encroaches on the sidewalk makes it difficult for pedestrians. This is especially true for those with special needs such as wheelchair bound individuals and individuals with motorized wheelchairs. Vegetation must also be trimmed so that it does not overhang the curb line.


All residential property is required to have landscaping in the front of the home. Landscaping can take on several forms- grass, all types of plants and other allowed vegetation, decorative rock, mulch and bark. Lawns must be kept mowed and watered.

Basketball Standards

Basketball standards must not be left at curbside. This causes an obstruction to vehicles on the roadway. Portable basketball standards must be completely on your property and not overhang the street.

Multiple Family Dwelling

All R-1 zones in the city (most of the residential areas) must be maintained as single family dwellings. That means that only one family can live in the home. We have an influx of calls about homes in R-1 zones being converted into multiple family dwellings. This is in direct violation of single family dwelling (R-1) ordinance.

Animal Complaints

Taylorsville contracts with West Valley Animal Services for all animal complaints. If you have a problem with a neighbor who has an animal that is troublesome, please contact West Valley Animal Services at: 801-965-5800. West Valley Animal Services is able to address any problems you may have with a neighboring pet in a timely manner.

Rental Properties

All owners of rental properties in the city are required to obtain a business license to rent their dwelling out. This license is renewable every year and has a minimal fee. Classes are available throughout the valley to assist owners of rental property, including screening potential renters and what information to include in a rental agreement. 

Please contact Taylorsville Code Enforcement  at 801-955-2013 or 801-955-2053 if you have any questions.